Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What Can You Do In Less Than 10 Minutes

I don't know about you, but sometimes 10 minutes seems like hardly enough time to get anything done or accomplished. I can barely get a shower taken in 10 minutes. I can't even feed Isaac in 10 minutes. I can hardly get anything accomplishedin 10 minutes... but boy can my girls get ALOT accomplished in 10 minutes. And although they can create a disaster in 10 minutes it sure takes mom more than 10 minutes to pick it all up and put it back together again. Here's a few things my girls have been able to accomplish in less than 10 minutes. (Usually happens when mom is either in the shower, on the phone, in the bathroom or feeding baby Isaac.) Now posting these will put me up for public criticism, with thoughts of "Does this mother watch her children at all." I do, our apartment is not that big, I can sit in one room and see the other side of the house, and yet somehow, when I think I have 10 minutes I can jump in the shower because all seems calm, or sit down and feed Isaac, then I tend to be proved wrong.

1. Take off their clothes, empty out all the cupboards in the bathroom and find mom's prescription sunglasses which are definately off limits - as Mirian is demonstrating above.

2. Get into and help themselves to the bucket of sugar and eat it fist fulls at a time. Now they know this is definately off limits because when they were found out, they willingly walked themselves into their bedroom and climbed on their stools of their own free will to time out. Sitting there licking their fingers must have been completely worth sitting there in time out.

3. When the sugar bucket gets closed really tight.. then they have to find the alternative. Climb the cupboards to find the small sugar container in the cupboard for cooking and dump it all over the top of the cupboard so they can access it freely.

4. Open the fridge, get out the milk, pour them a quart size canning bottle of milk. Go back to the refrigerator and get the chocolate syrup to make themselves their own chocolate milk. I can only imagine how much syrup they thought they needed to finish the job.

5. Somehow get the childproof cap off of the Children's Multi-sympton Cold medicine and help themselves to it. Last time I saw the bottle it was about 3/4 full. After I arrived at the scene when Savannah came to tell me that Mirian had spilled the medicine on the floor, there was maybe a 1/2 teaspoon left in the jar. There was some on the floor but also on their lips. I tried to get all the information out of Savannah that I could. Did Mirian drink it? How much? Did you drink any? How much. After calling Posion control and planning for the worse that Mirian drank it all herself and drank 3/4 of the bottle, we kept a close eye on them all day and saw no side effects...makes me wonder why don't they stick to the nasty tasting medicine. At least that way the kids would never have any desire to get that red candy out and have more than what mom ever gives them.

But then I have to remember there are also those 10 minutes of great fun and good moments where you remember why being a parent is so great.

1. Seeing them share and play in the their make believe world.

2. Clean the bedroom as fast as we can before dad comes home.

3. Sit down with me and say outloud all the story books they have memorized.

4. Sit and give a sermon to her imaginary audience about Jesus, and the gospel and anything else she can remember about what she learned in church on Sunday.

5. Help mom take care of Isaac.

6. Play a good game of hide and seek with dad.

7. Run to Albertsons with dad to get an ingredient for dinner only to return with some flowers they picked out just for mom.

We'll save a few more for another day.

No comments: